Monday, January 22, 2007

Momentary enlightenment

There are moments in my life. Of course, there are moments in all our lives. Just that I am more interested in my moments. I am self-centred that way. Actually, I am self-centred in every way but that is not the point of this post. Come to think of it, I have suddenly started making points in my posts. From having a natural flair for being completely pointless, I am at a place where I cannot but make points. What a fall! Let me not harp on a point again. Sigh!

Speaking of my moments, today for instance, I was in conversation with an intelligent woman. Well, okay. That statement is laced with redundancy. You can only have a conversation with those who are intelligent. Anyway. I tend to have better conversations with women. The more I talk to them, the more my conviction grows - any woman who aims to be equal to a man lacks ambition. That gyan too was given to me by a woman.

So. During the conversation in question, I started to wonder about the true depth of the phrase 'scare the shit out of someone'. What does it mean? I proposed that you scare someone to the extent that you constipate them. The woman came up with an alternative reasoning - you scare them so much that you give them the runs. See, I could never have thought of that in a thousand years. The same way I could never have thought that intelligent conversations could be more a survival necessity than food. Or even good green tea.

In my two months in Lagos, I have sorely missed my survival tonic. I have searched and searched. I cannot locate green tea for the life of me. If someone knows where I need to look, please pass on the information. It will be your good deed for the year. The thing is I am not a frequent tea-drinker. I am the avid variety. The tea has to be just right. I am more accomodating with coffee. It is not even a real drink. You cannot expect from artificiality an experience that transcends living.

Whiskey and tea are like that. They have more in common than Johnny Walker. Legend has it that Johnny Walker never had a sip of alcohol. His movies, however, are replete with his drunk idiosyncracies - scenes of him holding a bottle while he is doing his thing have made us laugh and cry. He filled the bottle with tea. I don't know if he got high on tea or not, but tea can have that effect. Green tea more so. If water is the whiskey of life, then tea is certainly the Absinth of it.

Aside: Woman without her man is incomplete.
Woman. Without her, man is incomplete.

The difference punctuation makes!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

this woman u mention, she is very, very intelligent
aphrodite

Script Writer said...

Ah yes. I thought I mentioned that. It is fascinating, though, that you should choose to take a personal interest in her intelligence :p.

diya said...

hey! intelligent woman.......I feel all are intelligent in their own sweet ways - only some advocate while others are too manipulative!!
I loved the cooment:equal to men are less ambitious!
interesting flow...& keep up with your own discoveries about this breed - WOMAN

Script Writer said...

I disagree. Intelligence is to be valued. Though some are born with it, there are others who acquire it. It is not everyday that you come across someone whose mind is a treasure chest.

And yes. I love that comment too. In fact, it is completely in line with the two tenets that have kept me alive so far:
1. Never argue with someone who is bigger than you.
2. Never argue with a woman.

Anonymous said...

2. Never argue with a woman.

hmmm.... how come we end up arguing so much then? huh huh huh?
you-know-who

Script Writer said...

Quite simple, you-know-who. You are not just a woman to me, are you? You are way beyond that!

Anonymous said...

you, charmer! maybe why i keep coming back for more...
you-know-who :-)
ps: that was a compliment, right? :~