Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Go Sahir, go!

Not a post. Just an urdu verse by Sahir Ludhianvi from the movie Kabhie Kabhie, which in my opinion is the best movie to have come out of the Yash Chopra stables.

Kabhi kabhi mere dil mein khayal aata hai
(Sometimes I have this thought in my heart)
Ki zindagi teri zulfon ki narm chaaon mein guzarne paati to shaadaab ho bhi sakti thi
(That if life could be spent in the cool shade of your locks it could have been delightful)
Yeh ranjo-gam ki syaahi jo dil pe chaayi hai teri nazar ki shuaaon mein kho bhi sakti thi
(This ink of sorrow that is smeared over my heart could have vanished in the depths of your eyes)
Magar yeh ho na saka
(But this did not happen)
Magar yeh ho na saka aur ab yeh aalam hai ki tu nahi tera gam teri justajoo bhi nahi
(But this did not happen and now the stage is this that you are not around, your sorrow and even your desire is not there)
Guzar rahi hai zindagi kuch is tarah jaise ise kisi ke sahaare ki aarzoo bhi nahi
(Life is going on as if it does not hope for anyone's support)
Na koi raah na manzil na roshni ka suraag bhatak rahi hai andheron mein zindagi meri
(There is no path, no destination, no evidence of light, my life is wandering in the darkness)
Inhi andheron mein reh jaaoonga main ek din kho kar
(In this darkness one day I shall forever be lost)
Main jaanta hoon meri humnafaas magar yoon hi
(I know that, my love, but just so)
Kabhi kabhi mere dil mein khayal aata hai
(Sometimes I have this thought in my heart)
Kabhi kabhi mere dil mein khayal aata hai
(Sometimes I have this thought in my heart)

How can some people write this well? They have you eating out of the palm of their hands!

No comments: