Monday, December 18, 2006

Sobriety

This has been the best Monday in a long long time. I have been fresh as a daisy all day. That may, wholly, be due to my not having work and being naughty on the net. But, as Gwendolen Fairfax in Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest said, in matters of importance style not sincerity is of significance. Yeah, I like dropping quotations now and then, even out of context. Gives a general impression of being well-read.

The weekend was, for want of a better descriptive, unusual. Most of it was spent at home. And it was largely sober. Surely one beer during a Sunday lunch does not count. More so when it was an official lunch. A man has to do what he can to survive those ordeals. Beer has traditionally been known to be a good survival tonic. The Russians prefer Vodka, but I deem that drink to be dangerous. More about that some other time.

What would a guy like me do when he is home? Have a woman over? Beep! Wrong answer. It makes absolutely no sense to have a woman over at your place. Rather, you go over to her's. Why? Again. Some other time. There are more pressing things right now. Well, not really. But I just like putting things off. Besides, I have not decided if this blog should become a sexual guidance column.

Saturday was movie night preceded by Table Tennis. I am playing a lot of TT and badminton these days. On the bright side, it does keep that ass of mine in fine shape. On the not so bright side, I get creamed in TT. Ice creamed actually. I rock at badminton, though. Can take the best of them on. The movie started around 11. Firewall, it was called. Harrison Ford and Virginia Madsen. No great shakes, but a fairly decent movie.

It took five Sundays to get a good Sunday sleep in Lagos. I was up at seven, but I kept drifting in and out of consciousness. Around noon I finally broke away from the throngs of a peaceful sleep. Post lunch, it was back home like good children. And my own home too. Then the marathon session of badminton began. I have no idea how long it went on for. At the end of it, I could feel my skin colour bleeding into my clothes.

The day is almost done now. About an hour or so to go. May be I will hit the sack early tonight. Last night someone kept me up till the wee hours of the morning!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, u shud consider renaming urself script teaser........;)

026 said...

mur--is zat your column...good to see u are redirecting ur verbal excesses to a less harmful channel

Script Writer said...

Script Teaser, eh? I shall take that as a compliment! Coming from you, though, I am not sure you meant it that way :).

Shubhra! Of all people you should say that. Especially when I have been nice to you the last year or so. And that despite you being the cause of my current smitten state of being.