Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Maid in Lagos

A single guy's woes are inversely proportional to the househelp he has. It works inverse-squarely in my case since, for a guy and single at that, I am excessively obsessed with clean socks. To give an idea of my fondness, I can go without food but my socks need to be squeaky clean.

This morning we finally had a maid! She has some issues with her date of joining that we are sorting out at the moment. Despite that, it was as if the heavens had opened up. She made breakfast and lunch alone for today. The pile of clothes was left untouched, but at least now there is hope. I can now have a dream (with no offence to Martin Luther King) - of clean socks. Whoopee!

The joys of a maid completely managed to negate the supreme agony I inflicted upon myself when I woke up at 6. There are usually only two reasons that can have me up at that ungodly hour - I have not slept all night, or I have to catch the 7 o' clock train. This time it was work! Never in my life did I imagine I would sink to such levels of decadence. But I guess sometimes we surprise ourselves - the bar is already set low and we still manage to slither from right underneath it.

The only difference between me today and a hibernating bear was that I slept with my eyes open. Crucially, I was awake when the big boss was screwing me left, right and centre. I would not have wanted to miss enjoying such a humping, would I? Post that, it was one sleep fest after another. I almost fell asleep on the shop-floor with cranes swishing past about half a foot over my head.

Almost leaving work now. Dinner awaits at a neighbour's. Sometimes, single guys do have all the good food! There are plans of a movie or two. We have an awesome home movie system - good speakers, and a projector. Basically, nirvana. Does not match a movie hall by any stretch of the imagination but scores highly on the comfort front.

Why is my housemate not done with his work yet? I need him to give me a ride. How can people be so insensitive to others' needs? Now we know why world peace will forever remain a joke.

No comments: